The big "Paro", national strike day Argentina

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Let's protest against insecurity and violence with more violence and insecurity.  Today the city is shut down.  Protesters have blocked all the freeways and there is no public transportation which really cripples the city.  I don't really understand the mentality of trying to fix economic and social problems with picketing and crippling the city.  But I guess if the government is really useless and inept at making things better perhaps the only way to get things changed is to drastically cripple the country.  It does however, at least for me, seem quite counterproductive, to hurt your own economy.


So far it has been pretty quiet and calm.  I'm staying in my apartment thanks to the advice I received from Monica and her family.  Don't go outside it could be dangerous.   I also received and email from the us state department advising people not to go outside.  From what I can see from my apartment it looks pretty calm, not too different from any Sunday afternoon here.  There is less noise, no city buses making loud braking noises.  

I might venture out and see if I can see anything.  Just imagine if the USA was shut down with no public transportation or flights.  I'm glad I didn't schedule a flight to the USA today as even the airport is shut down. 

*Update*

I went for a walk around the block and besides there not being any buses it seemed to be a pretty normal day.  People were out and about eating lunch and going about their days.  There were people on bicycles happily riding around and families with kids walking.  Not too much to report, I guess if I really wanted to see something g I would need to go to a government building or downtown.  But here in Palermo everything is pretty tranquil.  

I lost my packet of American gum, and was looking all around the apartment, I them went to the roof of the apartment because I had been there yesterday and there was a young couple, I said hola buenas días, has visto un paquete de chicle por acá?  They said no, and I said gracias.  I guess that is pretty funny.  They probably thought I was retarded or something.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Do you like me?

Like us on Facebook